Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Roses Are Red and Violets Are Actually Purple

The midterm went well. Everyone did fine, and each student received a personal report on what they can improve. That seems to make them try harder in conversation. It's very nice.

I have not implemented my new idea of having them memorize poems. Why? Because one student told me our conversations in class are "good, but little." In other words, not enough! The exact trap I was trying to avoid. Once again, I've fallen in. Once again, I start over. I give them a topic and some simple questions. They take turns talking.

I did it today. It was okay. I'll keep doing it.

One irony. The student who asked for it was absent. C'est la vie, eh?

They did read one poem today, too, several of them, out loud. Our topic is health, so:

Early to bed and early to rise
makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

You know, it was a good, short pronunciation exercise.

I wanted to change "a man" to "people" and make it non-sexist, but they might have looked at me uncomprehendingly, and I just wasn't in the mood for it today.

Oh, by the way, we have a new student! He's from Saudi and very jolly. His fictional name will be Ali.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home