Thursday, April 13, 2006

I'm not the Miracle Worker

Hmm, I seem to have two classes in one--students in my class who are very good on paper but quiet in class, and students who speak very well but don't do well on paper. It's a cultural thing, and I've dealt with it before. Also, I know I'm not the only teacher with this dichotomy, but I'm looking for some creative ways to deal with it.

One thing everybody seems to like, that we have done for a couple of days, is reading the play aloud, with individual students playing particular characters. I stop them at the end of each page and ask for questions. I use that time to make any comments or ask them questions. It's good. I think we need a break from it now, though.

Yesterday I asked oral questions and gave written credit for each student who answered. I will continue to offer more oral work, so that people who are strong in speaking and listening have a chance to get some points that way. And really, the ones who excel on tests and other written work can use the oral practice.

At the same time, everybody has to get a grasp of the grammar, writing and spelling of English--unless there is a revolution in our educational system, unless we decide to do away with the TOEFL.

Doing away with the TOEFL, there's a concept!

No, for now I have to help them improve in their weak areas. I think I'll give more in-class exercises, let them work together, step by step.

It sounds so obvious. It is! I can't work miracles--but maybe I can help my students fill in some gaps and get to the next level, God willing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home